On December 25, during the discussion “Ukraine 2014: What Comes Next?” Vice Rector of UCU Myroslav Marynovych presented the Declaration of the Branch of the Maidan People’s Union of the Ukrainian Catholic University.
As Myroslav Marynovych noted during the presentation, in the process of forming the Maidan Ukrainian Union, focus is mainly on the tasks of a political nature.
“EuroMaidan brought people together around a set of principles. And I wanted to formulate these principles together with my colleagues, and the result of this attempt was this declaration,” said the vice rector.
However, according to Myroslav Marynovych, the declaration in no way replaces a plan of action. But it can be used as a basis for what to do in the future.
On December 30 at 5:00 p.m. in the UCU conference room at 17 Sventsitskoho Street a meeting will be held to establish an initial branch the Maidan Ukrainian Union at the Ukrainian Catholic University.
Declaration of the Branch of the Maidan People’s Union
of the Ukrainian Catholic University
- We are the heirs of the “Granite Revolution,” the “Orange,” “Tax,” and “European” Maidans. Together with the whole Ukrainian nation we embraced their spirit and were charged with their energy.
- We are a social movement that seeks civil and spiritual renewal, not a party that fights for the conquest of power. It is important to create the right conditions for civilized political activity on which authentic parties will appear.
- We oppose injustice, violence, corruption, and fraud. As long as the government engages in such practices, we oppose the government. If other parties, public organizations, or individual leaders resort to this behavior, we will wash our hands of them.
- We claim that it is not enough to change the government – we need to change the country. We invite all – even those in the government – to cooperate, all who realize that we cannot go on living like this.
- We see that evil reigns and rampages. The reason for this is also in me and in you. We must have no fear and stop explicitly or tacitly obeying evil. This from where the revival of the country begins.
- We support nonviolent resistance. We are not avengers and not the political messiah. We do not take revenge and do not distribute promises – we stand for values and work to create new “rules of the game” and a new “agenda” for the country.
- We are obligated to defend human dignity and “not allow the strong to destroy the weak.” For this, we will bear witness to the power of love, communicate in truth, and serve those in need.
- We are convinced that in all segments of Ukrainian society and in all regions there is a demand for a civilized country and a decent life in peace and justice. We give reach out to others in order to achieve this.
- We do not accept the fate of our historical destiny: We believe that it can and must be overcome. These circumstances, which are considered our weaknesses – such as lack of cultural homogeneity and regional differences – can become our strength, if we look at them from a new perspective.
- We are currently at an important stage of “divine pedagogy.” We will successfully pass the exam if in our souls “we prepare the way of the Lord” and in prayer with Him verify our actions.
Proposed by the Initiative Group in Founding a Branch
December 25, 2013